UNITED SOCCER ASSOCIATION
FYSA’S HEADING & PLAYING UP RULES
Game Day Procedures Regarding Youth Heading Rules
FYSA Heading Guidelines
- In conjunction with US Soccer and US Youth Soccer, Florida Youth Soccer Association will be instituting a heading ban for players age 10 and younger. In accordance with the recent U.S. Soccer recommendations on concussion risk management.
- FYSA has eliminated heading in matches for player’s age 10-years-old and younger (2006-11u and younger), per the new calendar year registration guidelines.
- League, tournaments, and other FYSA sanctioned events that include 2006-11u and younger age group teams heading will not be permitted.
- Leagues and tournaments shall allow for 2005-12u heading age divisions. Leagues and tournaments will be permitted to form 2005/2006-12u non heading divisions. (see playing up guidelines)
- Teams that opt for 2005-2006-12u non heading divisions shall only participate in non-heading divisions and tournaments.
- Playing Up Rule211.3 Playing up (above a player’s normal age group):
It is FYSA’s policy that all players compete at a level they are capable of both physically and developmentally. In order for a player to move up more than one birth year will require approval from the affiliate’s director of coaching or agent of record and FYSA Director of Coaching.
Failure to obtain proper permissions may result in the player being removed from the team’s roster and sanctions against the team/club.
Playing Up Logistics and Guidelines
- Playing up requests will not be reviewed until July 15 and added to rosters after August 1st.
- Below is the chart that will be used in determining the ability to play up.
- The playing up submissions need to be submitted by Tuesday and will be reviewed on Wednesday each week.
- Submissions may be made either through GotSoccer for individual players. Spreadsheets should be use for multiple groups of players playing up to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Playing up requests should be made in regards to player development purposes. Factors to be considered are technical, physical, and psychological. All of these factors should be present for it to be developmentally appropriate.
- Playing up requests should not be made for logistic or club/family convenience.
- For special considerations a club’s Agent of Record, Registrar, or Director of Coaching can submit via the GotSoccer . The considerations will be considered mainly for players 15u and above.
- For special considerations a club’s Agent of Record, Registrar, or Director of Coaching can submit via the GotSoccer . The considerations will be considered only for players U15 and above.
Below is the chart that will be utilized to make determinations as to the level a player can play up to.
|10u and Below||2007 and Below||1 Year||No Approval Needed|
|11u||2006||1 Year After the Player Reaches the Age of 11||Approval Needed|
|12u (September – December Birthdate) to 14u||2005 – 2003||1 Year||Approval Needed for 12u|
|12u (January – August) to 14u||2005 – 2003||2 Years||Approval Needed|
|15u (September – December)||2002||2 Years||Approval Needed|
|15u (January to August) or Older||2002 – 1998||3 Years||Approval Needed|